The world’s largest sustainable tourism program
More than 2,300 tourism and hospitality businesses are growing their business, telling their green story and reducing their impact on the environment.
The process of becoming Green Tourism Certified includes the following steps.
- A Green Tourism assessor measures your organization’s sustainability performance against a set of criteria that are aligned with the Global Sustainable Tourism Council Criteria. Your score determines your award level; Bronze, Silver or Gold.
- Your assessor gives you a list of recommended actions to help you take the next steps on your sustainability journey.
- You join the Green Tourism Member Community, becoming a part of a network of like-minded tourism businesses.
- Green Tourism is here to support you on your journey, with ongoing tips, advice, marketing support and more.
Why go green?
Because sustainable and profitable go hand in hand.
- Set yourself apart from the competition with certification from Green Tourism, the most credible tourism eco-rating label in the world.
- Save energy, water and money to help the earth and your bottom line.
- Attract a growing number of travellers who want to support green establishments.
- Take advantage of resources, guidance and green industry partners so it’s easier to meet your goals and make a difference.
- Be a leader and inspire your peers to go green.
Beginning in the UK in 1997, Green Tourism launched its assessment and green certification program as a way to help hotels, motels, resorts, wineries, breweries, distilleries, restaurants, tour operators and tourist attractions improve their sustainability and become recognized for their efforts. Green Tourism is now growing across the globe.
One of the first sustainable tourism certification programs in the world, Green Tourism has remained one of the most sought-after eco-labels and certification programs. Unlike many other sustainable business certification programs that allow self-assessments and grading, every one of our members are individually assessed by trained green business experts, who review everything from energy efficiency to food sources. This thorough assessment process gives our members insight into how to further reduce their businesses’s impact on the environment, how to best manage future projects, as well as a personalized action plan about how to build their green business.
With Green Tourism, Canadian tourism destinations have the opportunity to join a trusted and credible sustainability rating system. By becoming a member, tourism operators can grow their business and attract new visitors while ensuring Canada’s beautiful environment stays healthy for generations to come.
Green Tourism is offered in Canada by GreenStep Solutions, a Certified B Corporation.